In today’s time, many people find that when they arrive at their computer in the morning, they have a feeling of dread. Why is this? They dread having to look through their unread emails. Over a weekend alone, an employee can come back to their desk to find 100s of unread emails needing their attention. In addition, throughout the workday additional emails are coming in requiring further attention.
This feeling of dread can be avoided easily with email organization.
The Problems with Unorganized Email
When email is unorganized, it brings about numerous issues that a business and an individual need to deal with. Some of the major problems are the following:
- Wasted time having to go through each and every email to see if it is something important.
- Due to wasted time, many employees find that they must devote more time after hours for actual work.
- Employers find that their workers are not as productive, since they are spending a lot of time on reading through their email.
- This can cause severe stress as the emails may seem unending for a person, resulting in anxiety or feeling a ton of resentment towards technology in general.
- Emails can easily be missed or unanswered until a later date, as a person may not know they are important.
While it may seem that email is nothing but trouble, email is a part of almost everyone’s daily life. Whether you are checking it on a phone, tablet or a computer, for personal or business life, there is no getting away from email. And for those who are worried about work productivity, email is one of the biggest killers of time out there.
What Happens with Organized Emails
Now that you see what problems arise with unorganized email, let’s see what benefits happen when email is more organized:
- Workers can quickly see what emails they need to read and what can wait for a later time when they have a spare moment.
- It is easier to find those urgent emails that need a response immediately.
- Time that was once spent going through each email is going to be put towards actual work.
- It can decrease the amount of time that people are staying after the work day is done.
Ultimately, it can make for a happier worker! The more organized something is, the easier this is on everyone involved.
How to Organize Email to Increase Productivity
So, how can workers organize their email to make it something that they can easily manage and something that is not going to affect their productivity while on the job? Here are a few suggestions:
- Employers can request that people only send emails when this is necessary. This can help with the number of emails that people are receiving overall, which is going to help greatly with productivity.
- Avoid having personal emails sent to work email, as this is going to take more time to go through as they are personal.
- Ensure emails that are from companies and the like advertising new sales or whatnot are sent into junk or a promotional tab so that they are not sitting there to be checked, resulting in more time spent.
- Highlight certain senders that are always important, so that these are some of the first emails that you see.
- Have a filing system for emails that you have read that you may need to go back to later.
It can take time to organize email to the way that works for you. Or, you can find a better option such as Knowmail, a platform using artificial intelligence in order to help with organizing your email and making you more productive while at work. It will automatically detect what emails are urgent or important, requiring your attention at any given time. It utilizes this artificial intelligence to help determine your email habits, which help focus, save time, get things done…and reduce stress.
For employees who feel like they spend hours every day dealing with emails, they are probably not exaggerating. For employers, this can mean less productivity at work. However, this is something that can easily be remedied.