The ding of your cell phone alerts you to yet another email that you have. The little box in the corner of your computer once again pops up stating that you have a new email from someone. This is an everyday occurrence for many people. However, this doesn’t just happen once or twice every few hours, this is happening every few minutes and work and at home.
Email has become one of the most popular ways to get in touch with people. Why is this? Mainly because it allows a person to contact someone regardless of what time it is, what day, and it is rather fast compared to waiting on the phone line for someone to pick up. However, as the convenience of email has grown, the amount of email that people are getting is growing as well. How do you know when you are getting to the point that email is taking over your life, and you’re suffering of email overload?
Signs that Email is Taking Over
There are several signs that show just how much you are overloaded by email. Ask yourself these questions:
- 1. Do you ever feel like going through your email is a daunting task?
- 2. Do you put off going through your email because you know it will take too long?
- 3. Are you easily annoyed as to how unorganized this email is?
- 4. Can you ever find the email that you are looking for without sifting through junk email?
- 5. Do you ever feel almost afraid to go to your inbox?
- 6. Do you know that you need to organize this, but the task simply feels too daunting?
- 7. Do you feel stressed over what emails you need to read and which ones to ignore?
- 8. Are you losing time due to how many emails you have to wade through and read?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, chances are you are dealing with way too much email! However, don’t feel alone, there are tons of people out there who are dealing with the same feelings with their never-ending inbox!
How to Overcome Email Overload
Once you realize that email overload is a problem for you, you can overcome it. There are several ways in which you can overcome this feeling of being overwhelmed and overloaded with electronic messages. Here are some of the best ways to do this:
- 1. Better organization of the incoming emails that you have. There is no reason that you need to sift through emails from companies or people who have nothing to offer other than something that is a special offer. Put these types of emails in your junk email folder and forget about them.
- 2. Unsubscribe to emails that you never read and are from businesses who are looking to make a sale. Unless you really do look at these each time they come in, they are just taking up space in your inbox.
- 3. Block any spam emails that you are getting so you will not get repeats!
- 4. Schedule a time everyday to clean up your inbox and respond to messages. You will find that having a set time can help you to be more productive throughout the day.
- 5. Seek help from solutions like Knowmail, which are meant to help your performance when it comes to decluttering your inbox. The idea is that Knowmail helps to decrease the amount of time that it takes to look through emails as the Artificial Intelligence technology can immediately prioritize your emails to know which need your attention, which can wait, and even provide predicted next-best-action to get tasks done quickly.
If you are finding that email is taking over your life, you are not alone. The key is to realize this and do something about it! No one should have to lose out on valuable family time or spend their personal time having to sift through their workplace emails.