Imagine a world where you could enjoy your vacation without the constant distraction; imagine a trip where your phone is used more to photograph your family than checking your inbox; imagine your time off where the sun rays are more important than the Wifi signal.
Sounds nice but not so realistic?
The majority of us are “always on”: constantly attached to our devices, working away from work and have a constant Fear Of Missing OUT (FOMO) which eats away at our free time or time off.
The way things are
The majority don’t see their previous vacation as a true vacation, rather a switch to partial-time connectivity. That is really unfortunate, as we work throughout the year, plan on these vacations, ending up not enjoying them as originally planned.
We keep on:
- Checking our phone constantly
- Deferring family activities or splitting up, to work a few hours here and there
- Doing half-assed work. In other words, taking care of business unproductively, without full focus, and just adding more tasks as we check some off
- Working more than needed (also to show our online presence)
- Longing to get back to the office (rather than hoping the vacation will never end)
- Working meticulously once back prior to even setting foot in the office, instead of having a back-from-vacation inbox strategy
- Excited to get back to work as to finally get things done…so why did we work during vacation in the first place?
On another note, are you proud of the work done away from work? Do you feel you really took care of things and the results are exceptional? Heck, did you even enjoy your time off?
Unfortunately, many don’t know of another way to keep on top of things without always checking, working and responding.
The way things should be
Basically, we should all enjoy our vacation as planned, avoiding unnecessary distractions by only attending items that are truly urgent which require our attention right now. With this, our focus will be more appropriate when actually needed, and we can stir away from anything else, so our time away will really be time away to detach and relax.
Don’t we all deserve it?
This isn’t an easy feat, but it is actually already becoming a reality thanks to the innovation of digital personal assistants and artificial intelligence coming into play.
Just like in the old days when your administrator (or real-life PA) knew your busy times, open calendar slots, important tasks, and even which contact deserves an interruption and which to avoid…so will our digital PA.
AI advancements have been so great, that your usage and needs are better understood. This means that just like the pilot for your flight, you have a work navigator optimizing your time according to needs, availability and productivity.
So that beautiful world where a vacation can be what it’s meant for is right around the corner, but we need to also make sure we are open for it…we need it!